Thursday, July 30, 2009

Welcome and a brief introduction

Hey there, welcome to my pages.
I'm Jezz - good to meet you.

The reason i've pulled this page together is primarily to document that I am swimming The English Channel. As part of a team of four, I will be doing this across the August 2009 long weekend. Partly for the sheer challenge of it and also to raise some money for charity, the team and I are undertaking one of the premier open water swims in the world. It sounds melodramatic and somewhat self-important right now, but it's described as the 'everest' of ocean swims. Not having done it yet, I can't comment. I am sure i'll change my tune when i'm immersed in the swell and the chop of the ocean though.

My target for rundraising is £1,500 for the Royal National Lifeboat Institute RNLI http://www.rnli.org.uk which helps to keep safe all users of the UK’s beaches and river Thames.
I am also aiming to raise as much cash as I can for the Royal Volunteer Coastal Patrol of Australia RVCP, the Ulladulla NSW crew http://www.rvcpulladulla.com.au/ who patrol the waters around Mollymook, Ulladulla and Bateman's Bay.

In addition to plenty of time in the pool with Wycombe Masters, my training for this event consists of hour-long early morning sessions in the River Thames at Marlow to acclimatize to the temperature. From what I hear, the water in the channel is somewhere around 14-15 degrees celsius, so even in hour long relay sessions over the whole 19 mile distance, that gets pretty cold.

You can follow my progress here if you'd like to come along for the ride. Would be great to have you on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment