Thursday, August 6, 2009

Donation milestone

A short write-up went out today in the Chalfont News, an e-newsletter that covers the three sites here in Little Chalfont, about our channel challenge. It's been so exciting to just get the word out there and have people hear about it. Obviously the usual response is "you're mad" but then it's followed up with "it's a great cause you're swimming for" and that brings it right back to why i'm going to put myself out there.
So, my donations tally for the RNLI now stands at a beautifully uneven GBP500.98 (forgive my US centric keyboard, no pound symbol) which is a great milestone to hit. That's a lot of money and to make sense of it, it would buy three full wetties and a rescue tube for the Lifeguard on the beach. I'm a little way off generating enough money for a full-on rescue craft, but you know, you can try.
I remember the sentiments from a book called "The Greatest Salesman in the World", written by Og Mandino. It's a short book that I would read daily each morning on the book-field where I spent three summers working whilst at University: "If you shoot for the moon, chances are you'll strike a rock. If you shoot for the stars, chances are you'll still strike a rock, but there's always a chance you'll strike the moon".

Interestingly, the great man has another pearl of wisdom which aptly fits my current situation.
"To do anything truly worth doing, I must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger, but jump in with gusto and scramble through as well as I can".

And so I close up for the night, ready to hit the river again tomorrow morning, knowing that it may well be a touch cooler, given all the rain from wednesday and thursday but also knowing that it's one more step on the road to being prepared.
Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment