Monday, August 24, 2009

Final long session

Strangely, I was alone on the jetty this morning at 6:30. Pete, Heath & Chris were away and Matt had put in a long session on the weekend. Integrity and internal motivation took over. "What counts is what you do when no one else is around watching you" rang through my head as I pushed into the weedy water and started on my normal route.

It's odd to think that in a week this whole channel push should be a done deal. The Handy Cross pool also opened again yesterday, so as the weather cools down it'll be nice to get back into the water and take on a bit of coaching to straighten out my stroke. It's all a little disjointed right now, i feel like i'm bashing through the water rather than gliding.

I took my shoulders down to the physio this morning for a massage after the session. He expertly identified a series of knots in the usual places, traps and romboids, a result of the lethal combination of training and a desk-bound job. But as I hit this taper week I will be concentrating on stretching and loosening to ensure i'm fresh and ready to feel good.

A quick glance at the just giving site shows i'm a smidge away from 50% of my target. I reckon i'm safe on the pink speedos, but any more would be great to get into the RNLI coffers. I have received messages of support from my Australian friends too who are donating to the RVCP who look after their beaches. I hear it's hotter down-under in the middle of their winter than it is over here in mid-summer. Can't believe that! What's going on with the world?

Alright then, stay posted this week as we keep in contact with the pilot Andy King for our shot. Fri/Sat/Sun 28/29/30 August - keep it here.
Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment