Monday, August 31, 2009

Very very disappointed

After so many weeks of training, our slot to swim the channel has effectively been closed this month on account of pretty miserable weather.
After swimming the first third of Andy Allum's 14km Bridge to Bridge on sunday morning, Chris, Pete and I called our pilot to see what the forecast was. Not good came the reply.
Any chance of us swimming before Friday 5 September was out the window, along with our current training plan. Between the team we've taken the decision to line ourselves up for the September neap tide slot which begins around 24 Sept. Andy King has three other teams to take but says he can squeeze us in. It's not great, but it might work.
I'm still very very down about this turn of events none the less.

Instead I have taken the chance to get myself on vacation in the interim while we wait for winds and moon to align. My Lady and I packed ourselves off to greece for a couple weeks. I'm still pretty disappointed about getting prepared mentally and physically for the swim but to have it become such a non-event this week has been tough to take. then again, that is what makes the channel so tough to swim; you may never even get the chance.

So i'll keep my training up, all be it in the somewhat warmer water of the southern med. Thanks to all you who have supported me in this last week. We will look to make it happen in a few weeks time.

I'll keep you posted - happy trails and keep your fingers crossed for low winds around the last week of september.

1 comment:

  1. Hey mate, hope the break id going well and that you are keeping up the training ;-)

    Spoke to Frosty today and the winds have been high all week. We would never have got to swim and the Australian guy unfortunately had to go home! Think we made the right decision. Forecast looks better for next week. Fingers crossed we get a slot!

    ReplyDelete